Plums, often selected for their delicious taste and vibrant colours, are more than just a tasty fruit. These sweet and juicy gems are packed with essential nutrients that offer a multitude of health benefits, including benefits for your skin. A boast of vitamin C, plums can effectively enhance your skin’s radiance, diminish the appearance of dark spots and freckles, contribute to achieving a glow skin, and enhance blood circulation in the skin, aiding in the lightening of scars and age spots. In this article, we invite you to have a closer look at different ways in which plums can contribute to healthier, glowing skin.
Plums- a source of Antioxidants
Plums are a rich source of antioxidants, particularly vitamin C and vitamin E. Antioxidants play a crucial role in protecting your skin from oxidative stress caused by free radicals. Free radicals are unstable molecules that can damage skin cells, leading to premature ageing, wrinkles, and skin disorders. Vitamin C, found abundantly in plums, helps combat these free radicals, promoting a youthful complexion and reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
Increase Collagen Production
Collagen is the protein responsible for maintaining the elasticity and firmness of your skin. As you age, collagen production naturally declines, leading to sagging skin. Plums are a good source of vitamin C, which is essential for collagen synthesis. By incorporating plums into your diet, you can help stimulate collagen production, resulting in firmer, more youthful-looking skin.
Hydrates the Skin
Proper hydration is fundamental for healthy skin. Dehydrated skin can lead to a dull complexion and an increased risk of skin problems. Plums have a high water content, which can help keep your skin hydrated from the inside out. Additionally, the vitamins and minerals in plums, such as vitamin A and potassium, contribute to skin hydration and overall skin health.
How do plums benefit your Skin Repair?
Vitamin K is another nutrient found in plums that can benefit your skin. This vitamin plays a crucial role in the body’s blood clotting process and can aid in the healing of skin injuries, such as cuts, bruises, and scars. While vitamin K is primarily known for its role in blood clotting, it also supports healthy skin by assisting in the repair of damaged skin tissue.
Fights Acne and Blemishes
Plums contain a variety of vitamins and minerals, including vitamin A, vitamin C, and zinc, which are known to combat acne and blemishes. Vitamin A helps regulate oil production in the skin and prevents clogged pores, while vitamin C reduces inflammation and promotes a clear complexion. Zinc helps control the production of sebum, an oily substance that can contribute to acne breakouts.
Exposure to ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the sun can damage your skin and increase the risk of skin cancer. Plums contain compounds like quercetin and catechins that offer some level of UV protection. While plums should not replace sunscreen, they can provide an additional layer of defence against UV-induced skin damage when included in your diet.
Are Garden Plums safe for everyone?
Some people experience one of the ‘birch pollen’ category of allergens which includes plums, apples and peaches. In such cases, consuming plums may lead to symptoms such as mouth or throat itching and swelling. Symptoms of plum allergies, typically appearing within 5-15 minutes after consuming raw plum, often manifest as localized reactions in the mouth and throat. This condition is commonly referred to as Oral Allergy Syndrome (OAS) and is characterized by itching and inflammation in the affected areas.
It’s important to note that these allergic reactions to plums are generally mild compared to more severe food allergies. However, it’s essential for those who have experienced OAS with plums or other birch pollen-related fruits to exercise caution. Cross-reactivity between various fruits in the same allergen group can occur, potentially leading to similar reactions with other foods in the future.
Plums, a non-invasive anti-ageing solution
Plums are reputed for their anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, anti-ageing and cancer-preventive qualities due to their abundant antioxidants and phytonutrients. Additionally, they are known to lower blood sugar levels, benefiting individuals with type 2 diabetes, enhance bone health, and help reduce blood pressure.
Roasted Plum, Beets & Pecan Salad Recipe
Adding plums into your diet can be a tasty and nutritious way to maintain a healthy, radiant skin. With their rich antioxidant content, ability to stimulate collagen production, and hydrating properties, plums offer a natural approach to skincare. Keep in mind that while plums can be a valuable addition to your skincare routine, a well-rounded approach to skincare also includes a balanced diet, proper hydration, and a good skincare regimen. So, the next time you enjoy a juicy plum, know that you’re not only treating your taste buds but also giving your skin a boost of essential nutrients.
For the Salad:
- 4 medium-sized beets, preferably a mix of red and golden beets
- 2 ripe plums, sliced into thin wedges
- 1/2 cup pecan halves, toasted
- 4 cups baby spinach or mixed salad greens
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Dressing:
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare the Beets:
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Wash the beets thoroughly and trim off the beet greens, leaving about an inch of the stem attached. Save the beet greens for another use.
- Wrap each beet individually in aluminum foil and place them on a baking sheet.
- Roast the beets in the preheated oven for about 45-60 minutes, or until they are tender when pierced with a fork. The cooking time may vary depending on the size of the beets.
- Once roasted, remove the beets from the oven and let them cool slightly. Then, peel the skin off using your fingers or a paper towel. Slice the beets into thin rounds or wedges and set aside.
- Toast the Pecans:
- While the beets are roasting, you can toast the pecans. Place them in a dry skillet over medium heat.
- Stir occasionally for about 4-5 minutes, or until they become fragrant and slightly browned. Be careful not to burn them. Transfer the toasted pecans to a plate to cool.
- Prepare the Dressing:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey, Dijon mustard, salt, and pepper until well combined. Adjust the seasonings to taste.
- Assemble the Salad:
- In a large salad bowl, arrange the baby spinach or mixed salad greens as the base.
- Add the roasted beet slices, plum wedges, and toasted pecans on top.
- Drizzle the Dressing:
- Give the dressing a quick stir, and then drizzle it evenly over the salad.
- Add Optional Goat Cheese:
- If desired, crumble the goat cheese over the salad.
- Toss Gently:
- Carefully toss all the ingredients together until everything is well coated with the dressing.
- Divide the salad into individual plates or bowls and serve immediately. The vibrant colors and flavors make this salad a delightful addition to any meal.
Enjoy your Roasted Beets, Plum & Pecan Salad as a delicious and nutritious side dish or a light, refreshing main course.
Do you want to share your story and inspire our readers ? Know that every story is paving the way for a brighter, happier future.